A Public Card is a Guru Card that can be accessed by anyone with just the link — no login needed. Anyone with the link can view this entire Card, including its images and files, even if they are outside of your Guru team. This means that you can share knowledge in Guru with everyone from your friends, hiring candidates, LinkedIn followers, and everyone in between.
What can Public Cards be used for?
There are lots of possibilities for how your team can leverage Public Cards, here are a few:
- Reference Lists (example: Guru's Official Guide to Philly): Keeping a list in a Public Card allows you to send out one link that always has the most accurate information—making it a living, breathing reference for your readers.
- Thought Leadership Content Lists: You’ve put out a ton of content, from conference talks to articles to LinkedIn posts. You want to share your valuable knowledge with the world. Keep it all linked in a Card so that people can access your thought leadership knowledge.
- Company-Wide Announcement Emails or Policies: Give your team the bite-sized knowledge they need more efficiently by sharing it in a Public Card versus an email that goes stale as soon as it’s sent.
- Sales assets to Prospects: Send external assets and docks to prospects that are up to date, rich in relevant information and all living all in place for easy reference and the ability to share across a team.
- Helpful Resources for your Customers: Send best practices, announcements and Help Center articles to your customers in one Guru Card to package information that is easy to access.
Enabling and Disabling Public Cards
By default, Public Cards are turned ON for all Collections in Guru.
As a Collection Owner or Admin, you can disable Public Cards on a Collection by Collection basis by following these steps:
- Navigate to the Web App and select your Avatar in the upper-right hand corner. Click Team Settings.
- Navigate to the Users & Collections tab. Select the pinwheel icon to the right of the Collection name and select Collection Settings.
- In this view, you can toggle the Public Cards option OFF. You can re-enable Public Cards for this Collection at any time.
- Repeat these steps for all the Collections where you'd like to disable or enable Public Cards.
When disabling the Public Card feature on a Collection, any Cards that were previously made Public will be reverted to only being visible to your Team.
Public Card FAQs:
Who can make a Card public?
Admins, Collection Owners and Authors who have access to the Collection can make Cards public.
Can public Cards surface in Google Search?
By default, Public Cards will not appear in a Google search. However, if your team uses a link to a Public Card on their public site, then the Card is indexable by Google and it could come up in a search.
How randomized is the link URL for Public Cards?
A Public Card URL includes a Card ID which is unique per Card. Guessing the Card titles wouldn’t be enough to gain access to a Card because users would still not have access to the Card ID. The IDs are non-sequential, case-sensitive and have a minimum length of 8 characters.
Do Public Cards display any individual user information?
Card Comments or user names do not appear on Public Cards. The Public Card has the term “expert” in the place of where we typically identify the verifier name.
How can I filter for Public Cards?
In the Card Manager, we have added a 'Public Cards' section to the Filter which you can use to track what cards are currently Public.
You can also navigate to the Collection page within Team Settings. Each Collection now has the same globe symbol which is present on a card that has been enabled for public sharing.
If a Collection has had public sharing disabled you will see the following image with the globe icon grayed out.