All teams struggle with their own versions of notification "noise" and information overload. If you're looking to reduce repeat questions and improve internal communications with Guru, here's some helpful framing to start out with.
Understanding the challenges of Internal Communications
Internal communications includes the principles, systems, and processes in which an organization keeps employees connected and informed.
What are challenges related to internal communications? Teams struggling with internal communications challenges are specifically dealing with:
- Information overload & notification fatigue
- Lack of distinction between urgency and importance when information is shared
- Getting the right info in the right format at the right time
How do teams use Guru to solve for these challenges? First, work with multiple team stakeholders to define the root of your challenges and priorities around internal communications.
We realized our team communications were noisy. We set out to reduce the volume of communication (messages, pings) that were sent to employees, predicting that a decrease in noise would alleviate distraction, increase focus time, and enable teammates to digest information more effectively.
- We developed and evangelized communications principles with a cross-functional working group
- We pressure-tested our processes for scale
- We standardized communications channels for consistency and cadence
- We established information routines (hello, Knowledge Alerts)
- We agreed upon a decision-making framework for accountability
For Brooklinen, an online based home comfort brand, COVID-19 and the uprising of other events required their team members to speak about their company’s proactive approach very specifically. Our PR team relied on Guru to provide the team with up-to-date statements and approved language for email communication.
Get started with these Card Templates
- Internal Communications & Team Updates by Noom. Use this template to provide your team with a weekly digest of the information they need to know. Monthly and daily update Card templates included as well
- Revenue Team Newsletter by Postscript. Use this template to keep your revenue team up to date with product updates, active projects, enablement resources, news, and customer updates
- Internal Content Style Guide by Shopify. Use this template to guide your team on creating and editing content in Guru Cards
- Project Summary by Guru.Use this template to provide a breakdown of a current project's goals, timeline, and involved stakeholders
- How to Use Slack by Guru. Use this template to outline best practices for your team’s internal use of Slack
Find more templates in the Guru Template Gallery
Watch the Guru Deep Dive: Internal Communications without Interruptions for a detailed overview