Guru has four key roles to fit the varying needs of your team: Read Only, Author, Collection Owner, and Admin.
Who can assign roles on your team?
- Admins are the only role that can assign roles on your team.
- If you are a Collection Owner, Author, or Read Only user, you'll need to reach out to an Admin on your team to change your role.
What are the different roles in Guru?
Read Only users are the reps/agents on your team. They use Guru to do their job, but they don't create content.
Authors are subject matter experts and/or managers. Authors are the people on your team who create and manage content for the team to use.
Collection Owners have the ability to create, edit, and verify content. They can also restrict users from seeing specific content within a Collection via Board Permissions.
Admins are your team leads who manage your content, all users and their permissions, the structure of your Guru team, and all billing information.
What can Read Only users do?
- Search and view all Cards, Boards, and Collections where they have access
- Comment on Cards
- Ask Questions
What can Authors do?
Authors can do everything a Read Only user can do, plus they can:
- Create Cards, Knowledge Triggers, & Boards
- Create and manage tags through Tag Manager
- Verify Content
- Answer Internal Questions via Q&A
- Track & monitor Content, Team and User Activity, and Usage through Analytics
- Notify users to read specific Cards via Knowledge Alerts and track viewership data
- Public Cards: Enable and disable a Card from being shared publicly
If an Admin demotes a user with Author permissions to Read Only permissions, all Cards that this person verifies will then become 'none'. These Cards will become untrusted over time unless the Admin reassigns Verifier responsibility of these Cards using the Card Manager.
What can Collection Owners do?
Collection Owners can do everything an Author can do, with the additional functions:
- Board Permissions: Share and restrict access to particular Boards within a Collection
- Collection Access: Add or remove existing Groups to the Collection
- Import Content: Bulk upload content into the Collection
- Publishing & Exporting: Enable these Collection-level features for the Collection
- Creating a Template Card: Create Template Cards for other Authors to begin creating Cards
In the General Collection or a Guru framework you download, you will automatically be the individual Collection Owner until you select another Group. In any other Collection that you create from scratch, you can select any Group to be the Collection Owner.
What can Admins do?
- Create and Permission a Collection
- Import Collection Frameworks into their team's instance
- Manage and invite users to a team or specific Collection
- Create Groups & Assign Roles
- Handle payment and billing information
- Enable Team Settings such as SSO/SCIM, AI Suggest Text, and Domain Discovery
Admins cannot view Collections or on their Knowledge Page unless they have Author, Collection Owner, or Read Only to a Collection. However, they can assign themselves any role from the Team Settings page. Users holding both the Admin and Author role can permanently delete archived content via the Card Manager.
🎓 View this in the Guru Academy
Take a deeper dive in our Guru Academy Course for Admins, Guru Academy Course for Collection Owners and Authors, and Guru Academy Course for Read Only users.