You must have Admin + Author access OR Collection Owner access for the specific Collection to migrate content from a spreadsheet into Guru.
Follow the steps below to migrate your knowledge from a spreadsheet to Guru. See here for more on Guru's migration options.
How to Migrate Content into Guru from a Spreadsheet
Part 1: Creating the spreadsheet
1. Create a spreadsheet (in .xlsx and .ods file formats) with the following 4 columns, written exactly as below, in the same order on the first sheet:
Title - required
Content - required
Boards - comma separated
Tags - comma separated
A few things to note when importing content into Guru using Spreadsheets:
The exact order of the columns must be followed, click here for an example.The spreadsheet cannot have additional columns aside from the 4 required columns.
A Card's content must live across 1 row in the spreadsheet, do not merge cells or put content in multiple cells for 1 Title.
Do not include "#" in the tag name(s), as a "#" is not needed.
If you want to import iFramed content, use these instructions.
The spreadsheet importer reads Markdown and will import it in "preview" mode, however, we do not support Markdown code in the spreadsheet importer appearing inside of a Markdown block in a Guru Card.
Part 2: Importing your Spreadsheet Content into Guru
1. Once you have that spreadsheet saved, go to Team Settings in the Guru web app.
2. Click the Collections tab.
3. Click the Collection Settings ellipses in the top right of the Collection where you want to import the spreadsheet content.
4. Select Import Content and then Spreadsheet.
5. Drag + drop or upload the spreadsheet file, then click Start Import.
6. Your file will be uploaded to our migrator tool, where we will process the files into a readable format for Guru, compress those files, then upload them to the designated Collections.
Due to the nature of these jobs, the general waiting time can exceed 30 minutes. An email will be sent once this migration is complete.
Frequently Asked Questions about Importing Spreadsheets
Can you import Guru Cards that your team has exported from Guru from Card Manager?
Currently, Guru cannot import Guru Cards that you have exported into a downloaded CSV from Card Manager in Guru. As our importer follows a very specific structure to successfully import Boards and Cards into Guru, Guru is unable to import all of the additional information and categories included in the Guru Card export at this time.
Can you import a Guru Collection that has been exported via Content Export as a zip file?
Yes! You can import a Guru Collection that has been exported through Guru's Content Export feature by using the "Guru" option under the Import Content settings found when clicking the gear on the Team Settings > Users & Collections > Collection page.
📑 Related articles