Roles: Admins, Authors
With Tags and Categories now spanning across all your team's Collections, we've introduced a way to merge Tags of similar name or meaning. Read below to find out how to unify your Tags and simplify your team's search experience!
How to Merge Duplicate Tags
Note on permissions: If you are an Admin, you can merge any Tags. If you are not an Admin, you can merge Tags that were operating in Collections to which you have Author access.
- First, navigate to the Guru web app (app.getguru.com) and select Tag Manager from the left navigation bar.
- When Tag Manager is open, you'll see that the screen is bisected; Categories and their associated Tags are listed on the left, and uncategorized Tags on the right side.
- With all your Tags now in one place, you can easily visualize how many Tags your team has created and identify Tags with common names.
- If your account contained the same Tag name in multiple Collections, you'll see it on the right side of Tag Manager with the Collection name in brackets. In the example screenshot below, the account contained the Tag
#guru101in both the Customer Success and Tribe Collections.
Next, to get started with merging duplicate Tags, click on a Tag that's followed by a Collection name in brackets. When clicked, that Tag will turn green and a Tag Settings window will open on the right side of your Tag Manager screen. This window displays:
- Tag name
- Any Categories to which the tag was assigned
- The Collection(s) in which the tag appeared
- The number of Cards on which the Tag appeared
- How many of those Cards you may view (if there are private Cards in a Collection, not all users can view them).
If you'd like to assign this Tag to a Category, you can do so with the drop-down menu in the "Assign to Category" box.
Take this opportunity to clean house and get rid of underutilized Tags that may be confusing your team. If you click on a Tag and see that it's associated with very few Cards, you can delete it by clicking the pink Delete Tag button on the bottom-left corner of this bar. Tags act as filters on a user's Guru search, so they should usually be used on numerous Cards to return appropriate search results.
Click the blue Merge with Other Tags button on the bottom-right corner of the bar.
From the middle of the screen where uncategorized Tags are listed, click and drag the Tag you wish to merge with the selected one. Drop it into the box that says Drag To Merge a Tag. If you'd like to merge more than one Tag with the selected one, repeat this action.
When you've dragged all applicable Tags into the bar, click the blue Merge Tags button. A modal will appear that describes how many Cards with which the Tags you dragged in were associated. These Cards will still be accessible by the same Tag; in this example,
#example card. Click Merge Tags to confirm the action.
When the action is complete, you will see a message at the top of your screen confirming that Tags have been merged.
With the same Tag still selected, click into the "Tag Name" box on the Tag Settings window on the right side of your screen. The
[Collection name]still appends the Tag, but because #guru101 is no longer associated with just the Tribe Collection, you can backspace to delete the bracketed Collection name from its title (or change the Tag's name entirely). Press Save Changes to save your edits.
Now that you've merged those duplicate Tags, attempting to perform a search with the Tag name will return just one option but pull Cards from all Collections that have that Tag.
- This will render a more simplistic, streamlined search experience, as users can will see all relevant Cards from a Tag search!