Roles: Members, Authors, Admins
Tags greatly enhance searching for information in Guru, but as your content grows in size, you'll need a way to organize your Tags. That's where Categories come in! Learn how to use Categories to group and differentiate Tags.
How to Create a Category
- Navigate to the Tag Manager, found in left navigation bar of the web app (app.getguru.com). As a reminder, only Authors can access the Tag Manager. From there, you can choose which Collection you'd like to work in, if you have access to more than one.
- You will see your ungrouped Tags on the left side of the Tag Manager under 'Add a Tag'. On the right are Categories and categorized Tags.
- To add a Category, enter the desired name into the 'Add a Category' field and press enter. You can always edit the name of the Category by hovering over it and clicking the pencil icon.
- There are three ways to add a Tag to a Category:
- Drag the Tag from the left side of Tag Manager into the Category in which you would like it. Tags can only exist in one Category. Thus, they are a great way to differentiate Tags of the same name that pertain to separate subjects. For example, 'FAQ' is a common Tag name. Placing them in Categories called 'Product 1' and 'Product 2' ensures that they won't be confused with each other.
- Click on the Tag to open up the Tag Settings. Here, you can edit the Tag's name as well as assign it to a Category.
- Finally, you can automatically add a net new Tag within a Category by clicking 'Add a Tag' in the Category field.
- Categories allow you to visually assess the organization of your Tags, so continue adding and reworking Tags and Categories to best suit your team!
- Learn to search using Categories here.