Roles represent a user's permissions in Guru. They are granted by an Admin at the Collection and Group level, so that these permissions can easily scale with your team. Understanding that there are varying needs from each member of your team, we’ve created three key roles: Read Only, Author, and Admin
Roles at a Glance
Read Only Read only users are the reps/agents on your team. They continually access and interact with Guru to do their job, but they are not creating content. Read only users contribute to the Guru knowledge base and interact with subject matter experts through Guru Q&A and comments. Read only users can:
- Access all relevant content
- Search and view all relevant Cards, Boards, and Collections
- Comment on Cards
- Ask Questions
Author Authors are subject matter experts and/or managers. Authors are the people on your team who create and manage content for the team to utilize. For example, your product manager would be an Author because they are crafting and updating roadmap content and product FAQ’s in Guru. An Author can do everything a Read Only user can, plus:
- Manage all applicable content in Guru
- Create Cards, Tags, Contexts, & Boards
- Verify Content
- Answer Internal Questions via Queue
- Track & Monitor Content, Team and User Activity & Usage
Admin Admins are your team leads who manage the segmentation of your content, all users and their permissions, the structure of the team, and the billing information. For example, your IT manager who handles the procedures and security for users would serve as an Admin, so that they could control team members and access. Alternatively, if the person rolling out Guru is your Sales or Support leader, then they would be an account Admin and an Author. This would allow them to manage the users and create content. An Admin can exclusively perform the following operational functions for your account:
- Create Collections on departmental basis
- Manage and invite users to a Team or specific Collection
- Create Groups & Assign Role(s) per Collection
- Handle payment and billing information
- TIP: Because Admins can assign roles, most often grant themself Author access as well across various collections. Admin/Authors are users who manage the team overall, including content creation, organization, as well as user permissioning. They have all of the functions of Authors and Admins, and exclusively users holding both the Admin and Author role can permanently delete archived content via the Card Manager.
Here's an example of how an organization may set up their Team Roles:
How to Change your Role
If you are an Author or a Read Only user and would like a change in your Role, the team Admin(s) can add or remove you from the appropriate Groups on a per Collection-basis.
Author and Read Only user permissions are awarded at the Group and Collection level, with Admins assigned individually (reflecting the nature of the role).
This allows you to reflect the structure of your organization in Guru. You can set up a Group (i.e. Sales Managers), add it to the appropriate Collection (i.e. Product FAQs) and assign it Read Only user privileges. As more of your company stakeholders start using Guru you just need to add them to the Group and Collection(s) in which they belong, or create a new Group appropriate for the new experts or reps (i.e. Product Managers with Author role). Read more about granting access to Collections here.