Getting Started with Guru
Roles: Authors, Admins
Thinking about getting your team up & running with Guru? This guide will make sure you achieve a successful roll-out.
1. How do I get started?
First, select super-meaningful topics that your team would typically access on a highly frequent-basis. We advise teams to sufficiently cover at least one topic in Guru before inviting the entire team.
- Need inspiration? Check out our solutions pages here or "Contact Us" via Guru Settings and our Customer Success team can review and quickly populate a recommended Sales Enablement, Client Support, or Employee Handbook Framework into your account.
- If you need assistance in populating the topics, we suggest starting with an initial team of 2 - 4 subject matter experts to assist you in curating the content into Guru, so you can get a sense as to how it works and experience the full value of Guru's verification workflow.
- Let us know if you'd like a suggested message you can send to your subject matter experts to request their involvement in Guru.
- You can also share Guru with your team via Slack. Learn how to install the Guru Slack bot here.
2. How do I structure knowledge in Guru?
All of your content will live in Collections, which allows you to both share and segment content across your entire organization to fit your team's unique needs. The overall hierarchy in Guru is:
- Boards (+ Board Groups)
The basic building blocks of knowledge in Guru are called "Cards". Cards can be organized onto "Boards", with the ability to include Sections within each Board. Often times you will have one Board per topic and several Sections for Cards within each Board.
For example, try creating a Competitor Battlecard Board, with one Section per Competitor. Now you can add one or more Cards per Competitor to each Section, with Cards that may include: key value statements (talking points), differentiators, key wins/case studies, leading questions, etc.
In addition to the visual organization of your content, we want you to find your information as quickly and easily as possible, so to help you and your team access the content you need just-in-time, we recommend use of our Tags feature, to streamline your search process.
And don't stress about this part, it's easy to change how you organize your Guru knowledge at any time using our Card Manager.
3. Time to Invite the Team
Once you and/or your subject matter experts have populated the three or more meaningful topics, it's time to go ahead and invite the team!
Once invited, they will be guided through how the product works and will immediately see the valuable content that has already been created for them. It's usually at this point that you will see them awkwardly attempting to hug their monitors and laptops. Just let it happen.
4. How do I get my team to use Guru?
To ensure your team gets ongoing value, leverage Guru for Q&A to quickly fill knowledge gaps. Your team can request the subject matter experts' assistance via Guru to answer any additional questions that come up that are not yet covered in Guru. Now your team knows that even if they don't find what they need in Guru, they can quickly get their questions answered, and leverage those answers for the whole team. You can read more about Q&A in Guru here.
Here are some things you may be asked during your rollout to the team.
How do I get my team on Guru? When you add them to your team in Guru, they will get an email inviting them to join your team. This will include a link to install the browser extension (Chrome, Firefox, or Opera) & web app. More on team setup here.
How do I use Guru? Your main use of Guru will be via our browser extension and web app. Our responsive web app is available via any device/web browser to search for and view your knowledge on-the-go!
How is Guru different from other ways to centralize team knowledge?
- It's part of your workflow. No more switching tabs and apps just to lookup a quick piece of knowledge. Quickly access Guru to reply to emails, work in CRM, address questions while on the phone.
- All content is verified by experts on your team. Everything you see in Guru is kept up to date automatically. Guru checks in with experts on your team periodically to ensure nothing gets stale. You will see on the Card when it was last verified and by whom.
- Your team knowledge finds you based on what you are working on. Guru Context lets you connect your Guru content right into the apps your team already uses so as they do their jobs, the knowledge they need will be suggested to them as they need it.
5. What about all my existing content?
We understand there will be lots of content you already have stored in other places. Guru provides a multiple migration tools to help you bring your content over from your previous repositories. Read about the Guru migration options here.
6. Need help/What's Next?
Sure! Check out our guide on driving adoption with Guru. Our Customer Success team is also here for you. If you have any questions or would like additional information please reach out to us and we can assist you. Click on your Avatar in Guru (the settings menu) and select 'Contact Us'.